Friday, January 18, 2008

The Glory of Good Samples

The arrival of some good sound samples has opened up my door somewhat. I've decided to make some good music. But then again, I only changed some MIDI files some people from the internet (exactly who, I cannot tell) transposed from games. The only problem with them is that they have the tendency to be unbelievably terrible once you get them away from the FM synth.

They're all in Ogg Vorbis. Get used to it.

The first song I worked on happens to be the worst of the bunch. It's an infamous tune from Shining in the Darkness. Take a listen.

Then I did a tune from Chrono Cross. Yasunori Mitsuda is a genous. I made this one with the "CP-80 FM" instrument, from the sheer lack of ram that the standard MIDI-use piano instrument needs - which is sad because I've maxed out the ram in this computer. It's pretty good.

The last one I did uses a variety of intsruments. Although the author of the original MIDI didn't stop some of the instruments from playing, he only set them to play at one volume at a time, and so in some places, it doesn't sound very well mixed. But it's impossible to get compiled into a single Ogg file for some reason, so I won't upload it it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You 8-bit weapon ripoff.