Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Project!

 Inspired by a similar project, I have decided to make a new Music Station based on outdated hardware!

 Here is the hardware I'm going to use. Most of the time, I won't have any way to tell any specifics about the hardware, such as model or manufacturer, but it's correct as far as I know.
  • The mainboard is a VIA Chipset. Identified by it's northbridge, one of two of the only components with any distinguishing marks. It appears to be a VT82C series board. One of the main reasons why I like using this board is it's modular nature. You can choose to install any of the I/O devices you choose, excepting the keyboard (Which is PS/1). Modular components include two Serial ports (one DB-9 and one DB-15), a Parallel port, two USB 1.1 Ports, and a PS/2 Mouse port. Plus, it's i586-based with socket 7!
  • The CPU is an AMD K6-2. It has MMX and 3Dnow! Perhaps it's even over 400MHz!
  • The video card, which will not be in the end-product, is a Trident Blade3D AGP1 card. It has anywhere between 4 and 64MB of VRAM, estimating, of course.
  • The Hard disk is probably going to change later, but for now it's a Western Digital Caviar 136AA. It has a hard-capacity of 13601.1MB
  • For the sound card, I have a lot of choices. The one built in the computer where I dragged out the Motherboard is some off-brand one manufactured by OnSpeed. It has a modem in it... but that will be disabled in the end product. I'm probibly going to use one with 4-channel audio, if I can find some implementation.
  • I'll put whatever CD drive I can find lying around in it.

 That's just the main hardware. More is to be added later on, like a button interface for navigating the songs and an LCD display (unless, of course, I can find the hardware to drive some of the laptop LCD displays. In that case, I will embed the new one into the case and get rid of all that annoying display programming.

 Of course, the grand feature is going to be the case. It will be a home-made wooden case, stained and varnished to a perfection. Hey, who ever said that I didn't take good use of my wood tech class?

No comments: