Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Akir Is a Stupid Little Brat

In an odd move, I have decided to install Gentoo once again. You know what this means - Long periods of me not being able to access my files. Longer periods of waiting for compilation or downloading sources.

Am I insane?

I think so....

So anyway, I'm in the middle of installing the base system. I've already unpacked the stage3 tarball, updated portage and it's snapshot, and got information pertaining to kernel configuration. After waiting for a near eternety waiting for the nearest mirror to give me the updated base files, I find myself waiting yet again for the Kernel (gentoo-sources, of course) to download. Of course, this is all after the 107MB stage3 tarball and 39MB portage snapshot.

Oddly enough, I think it's been worth it. It's been forever since I got to use a 'real' bash shell in a real linux environment. Syllable is gone now, of course, which may or may not be such a bad thing. I just hope that my linux-using guru friends are still alive.

Installing Gentoo has, for the first time in a long while, made me think. There are a number of choices to make when you're installing an operating system from near-scratch. The main question in my mind at the moment is which desktop environment I'm going to use. KDE? Gnome? xFCE? Enlightenment? BlackBox? Perhaps even (gasp!) GnuStep? Heck, I could just install them all and use whatever's best for the application.

Wow. I'm going to have lots of fun. Or sarcasm, depending on my mood.

No comments: