Monday, November 05, 2007

Taking a Bite Out of Apple

Well, Someone pulled the wool over my eyes. Since I was a child, I was indoctrinated into the "Windows is good, all else must die" philosophy. I remember the wonder I experianced once I started using Linux. The fact that I compiled my own components brought me into a real high for the longest time.
Well, recently, I got myself a Power Macintosh G3 mini-tower. I don't mean that artsy blue-and-white unit, or anything like that. I'm talking about the first release in the beige case. It's actually a bit better then the first G3 - It's a G3 server, which means a 9GB SCSI HDD with a 300MHz processor, running Mac OS 9.2.2. I just upgraded it's RAM to 320MB.
You'd think that 300MHz would be slow, but that's not the case. IBM and Motorola (I think this was before their chip fab was separated to Freescale) really outdid themselves with the PowerPC 750.
This leads me to wondering.... If PowerPC chips outperformed intel chips at 300 MHz, why doesn't Apple use it now? It's easy to see that it's lightning fast - just watch how quickly Pacific Tech's Graphing Calculator generates a three-dimensional image. Intel chips, on the other hand, have a history of being low-end. What's worse is that whenever they come out with new instructions, they still run slow. What's worse is that everyone knows how badly everyone programs on those chips - you can't find a single commercial program without insane bloat anymore.
This leads me to believe that Apple has betrayed their history. They used to be for making simple machines that can be used to do otherwise complicated tasks with ease. Now their operating system is based on UNIX, for crying out loud! While I'm glad that they've opened up their systems some more, I'm upset that they're no longer as simple to run as their 'classic' systems were.
I guess that I don't have a point with this rant. Well, perhaps I do. Don't upgrade to Mac OS X!

No comments: