Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I'm psychic.

I was right. I messed up configuring the kernel. But I wasn't that far off, in my defence. As far as I know (which is admitedly very little, as I didn't check it out very well), All I forgot to check was the ethernet capabilities. If I had remembered to do that, then I would have been pretty OK. I've already installed some good net utilities like BSD-telnet and the indespencible tf (Alas, the MUD is dead in this world!), along with links and lynx. (Why does one person need two different text web browsers?)

So anyway, I ended up using genkernel, as I had guessed. This is terrible - I'm going to have kernel bloat for all eternity now. I'm going to have to wait longer at every boot for the kernel to probe the devices and install modules as necessary.

I should have used FreeBSD. It would be way easierish.

Anyway, I'm hoping that recompiling the kernel won't have any effect on the things that I had already configured, like networking and all that huzspa. I'm glad that Linux is so great at multitasking - if it weren't, I'd be having a terrible time trying to type this out now. I'm probibly going to have to sleep on this project anyway.

Oddly enough, I can't get XP to boot now, and if I try to reinstall it, I'll have to install another bootloader. Again. Oh poo.

No comments: